Fayetteville, NC asked in Car Accidents and Personal Injury for North Carolina

Q: Should I give the other persons car insurance permission to release my car to them after a bad car accident?

Over the week I was involved in a car accident. The other person involved is 100% responsible. I ended up calling her insurance company to file a claim. Now I have her insurance company contacting me to give them permission to release my car to them. Should I speak with a lawyer first & let them handle that or give them permission in the mean time? Currently I am still looking for a lawyer

1 Lawyer Answer
Bill Powers
Bill Powers
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Charlotte, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina


Talking to a lawyer, at least to get general information about how to proceed, is a good idea. Many, if not most, "personal injury" lawyers in NC give a FREE CONSULTATION. I put "personal injury" in quotes because an important consideration is whether there were injuries or losses due to the wreck associated with medical bills, lost wages, etc., and something more than property damage.

There not necessarily some nefarious purpose behind releasing the car. If it's been totaled and compensation for the property damage (for the vehicle only) is fair, that may pretty standard operating procedure.

BUT, it's important to make sure that releases aren't being accidentally signed that cover everything associated with the wreck.

Car wreck cases can be complicated. It's important to understand insurance companies don't make profits by paying huge settlements. They generally want to settle as quickly and as inexpensively as possible. Their job is to look out for their best interests, not yours.

Indeed, in wreck cases, the other person's insurance adjustor clearly has interests adverse to the victim in the accident.

BEST BET, talk to an experienced lawyer ASAP.

For more info: https://www.carolinaattorneys.com/car-accidents.html

Bill Powers


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.