Canfield, OH asked in Tax Law and Collections for Maryland

Q: we just received notice from credit report about a maryland tax lien

i was finally able to locate the lien and called comptroller collection to find out it was from 2007 individual tax return unpaid. we moved from maryland in 6/08 leaving a forwarding address. never received any notification from them. i had to research several days to locate this. can they place a lien on us after this about of time? can they place a lien without any notifications to us.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Burlington, CT

A: If Maryland (I am not licensed in Maryland) is like every other state I am familiar with then they are only required to send you a notice at your last know address. This means the last address known to them so either the address on your last return or on the change of address form if you filled one out. Try requesting a penalty abatement to lessen your penalties.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.