Morristown, TN asked in Criminal Law and Immigration Law for Tennessee

Q: if ur in jail for improper lane usage nd influence of first offense can you fight your case i they called immigration?

i think they have him on hold there no date when will immigration take him they might send him to luisiana is there a chance he can be released or he will be deported

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers

Carl Shusterman

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA

A: Need more information. What is his immigration status in the US?

Lawrence James Arnkoff

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Sounds like someone has a DUI and is in custody with an ICE hold. Their criminal case

will have to be resolved first and then ICE will pick them up. If you post bond for the

criminal offense they will not be released they will go into ICE custody. My recommendation in those

situations is not to post the bond. When the criminal case is over they will be placed in ICE custody where

they should have sufficient time to fight the deportation. I recommend you hire an experienced

criminal attorney for the DUI who has a good knowledge of immigration law.

Hector E. Quiroga

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: It depends. Unless he has been deported in the past, he will have a chance to make a case before an immigration judge.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.