Jacksonville, FL asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Puerto Rico

Q: My father-in law passed & had a Joint bank account with his daughter. 1 other son, how is that divided? No will

The son in not on the bank account.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Good evening and thank you for using JUSTIA. Since he passed away with no will ( intestado) an estate must be created. This is done by filing a petition in court to name all inheritors. Once the court issues resolution, you mst file an inheritance tax return with the local tax office (Hacienda). With the tax release that is issued by the tax department you go to the bank and they will issue a check in the name of the inheritors. Each inheritor is entitled to 50% of the monies belonging to the account. In the event the daughter claims that a certain amoint was of her personal use then she must show evidence of such. Otherwise the money in the account is split equally among the inheritors.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.