Silver Spring, MD asked in Immigration Law for New York

Q: U.S. citizen filing I-130 wife lives in Canada illegal. Do i file for her in Canada or she should go to her home country

Can i file the petition as if she is in her home country to have a interview in that embassy or do i file with her Canada address and she will get an interview for U.S. Embassy in Canada. Thanks for your help.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: It is important to be truthful when completing immigration petitions. For purposes of completing the I-130 and any subsequent forms, you should list the address of where your wife (beneficiary) currently resides. Assuming your petition is approved, she can attend the immigrant visa interview at a US consulate in the country of her nationality.

Best Wishes

Carl Shusterman agrees with this answer

Carl Shusterman
Carl Shusterman
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA

A: Tell the truth about her address. She will be interviewed at a US consulate in her country.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.