Baltimore, MD asked in Civil Rights for Maryland

Q: If you break house arrest and they book you, do u only serve the time you were supposed to serve or is it longer?

Does time add on? What if you are 17?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL

A: This is a criminal defense question. I do not understand your question.

However, if you broke house arrest I wish you the best.

And if you are the 17 year old, then ask your lawyer. You either retained one or was appointed one

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: If you were sentenced to home detention as part of a guilty finding or plea, then you can have the sentence revoked and be placed in jail to serve out your sentence. You can also be charged with escape, a new charge, which is a felony and can carry 10 years in jail. If you were on house arrest pending trial or sentencing, then you can have your bond revoked and be held in jail until your court date.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.