Asked in Child Custody for Texas

Q: Can a child be removed from a Single 17 yr old Mom?

My Niece is a 17 yr old Single Mom of a 4 yr old girl. My niece, was recently sexually assaulted and moved in with me (35 yr old Single Mom as well) but, The mother to my Niece filed for temp custody of her granddaughter (the 4 yr old) on terms that the mother isn't mentally able to take care of her right now. My Niece, again is 17, but turns 18 in August and will inherit a very large fortune from her grandfather. Which she plans to buy a home, car, & put her self through college. She is mentally & physically able to take care of her Daughter. She is a great Mother. Thing is her daughter was taken from her today on court order without her being in court or being told what is going on. She was never notified about anything other than her mother wanting to file for custody. A lawyer woman came to my door with a court order and a police officer to escort her 4 yr old Daughter to her grandma. Is that legal? What does She need to do now?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert W. Leonard Jr.
Robert W. Leonard Jr.
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Fort Worth, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Contact a local family law attorney right away. The attorney can review all of the documents and advise as to your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.