Winston Salem, NC asked in Contracts, Estate Planning, Probate and Real Estate Law for North Carolina

Q: Is Verbal Agreement legal in North Carolina if the party passes away?

My grandmother owns property downtown, but passed away. She told me that after I finish school, she would give me the lease and do whatever I seem fit with it, but currently someone is leasing the property. She passed before she could put it in writing and one of her kids might want to take over the lease as the owner under their name. What can I do at this point?

1 Lawyer Answer
Jake Andrew Snider
Jake Andrew Snider
  • Asheville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Chances are pretty slim that you'll be able to do anything about it. In North Carolina, conveyances of real property have to be in writing in order to be effective, with some limited exceptions. To get a definitive answer this question you should contact a lawyer with experience in real property law. Best of luck!

Sara W. Harrington agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.