Santa Ana, CA asked in Child Support for Maryland

Q: My fiance was trapped into signing a birth cert. To a baby that wasnt his. In the state of Maryland. He pays still CS.

He has been paying for 5 years . Recently the biological child father contacted him and said that's my child and I want to step up. He is in regular contact with him.what steps can he take to get this off him. They denied him a paternity test because he signed the birth certificate , but the baby isnt his.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nyasha A. West
Nyasha A. West
  • Lutherville Timonium, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: In Maryland, at the time of birth, or shortly thereafter, the alleged father may sign a form called an Affidavit of Parentage attesting to being the father of the child in question. This document may be rescinded within 60 days after the last party signed by executing a Rescission Form for Affidavit of Parentage. Once 60 days have elapsed, nullifying the Affidavit of Parentage is quite difficult.

In order to strike his name from the certificate, the father must show fraud, duress, or material mistake of fact.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.