Falls Church, VA asked in Collections and Contracts for Virginia

Q: How do I collect a $16,000 debt from 2015-2016 first invoiced in 2018?

I did piece-work as a contractor for a Virginia corporation from 2015 to 2016 for which I was not paid. The total amount due is over $16,000. No written contract, but the work was well documented and the rate they pay was the same before and after the work I did. I sent them an invoice in February 2018. My fault I did not send it earlier - I did not realize until then that the amount due was so high, though I should have. They are ignoring me. Is there a statue of limitations that they can use not to pay me? Is there a route I can go to collect this money?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: The first step is to file a Warrant in Debt in Virginia. The defendants may have a defense of the statute of limitations f 3 years for oral contracts in Virginia. Once you have a judge award you a judgment, then you will need to collect it through the court procedures.

L. Ilaine  Upton
L. Ilaine Upton
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Annandale, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: The statute of limitations for an oral contract in Virginia is three years. For breach of contract, you can sue via a Warrant in Debt, but for a corporation, it is a bit tricky. You should talk to a lawyer to get this right, even if you decide to go it alone. You may be able to find someone to handle this on a contingency basis if the corporation has deep pockets.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.