Sarasota, FL asked in Libel & Slander for Florida

Q: I posted my experience with a company I worked for. Can he sue me for defamation?

I worked for a company as an insurance agent. They owe me money from my sales. They accepted I was owed but reversed this by claiming I now owed them even after offering me a portion of my commission and a demand that I sign a waiver so that I could get my check. I refused to sign because they still owed me money. I then posted my experience with the company. They claim I have lost them business and now owe them $15,000.00. Am I able to counter sue? or what is the best way forward?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: First, as I understand it they have not sued you, but only threatened to sue. Truth is a defense to an action for defamation; if what you said is correct they cannot successfully sue you. Also, they would have to prove the damages they are claiming. And, of course, until they sue, you cannot sue them with a counterclaim. If they still owe you, they can of course be sued by you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.