Fort Washington, MD asked in Family Law and Child Support for Maryland

Q: My bf's ex is filing for child support and he is 17, can she receive cs for all those 17 years even tho they were marrie

And living together until 2015? He was supporting them and taking care of his kids, and she just filed in December 2017. Does it go back to when she filed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nyasha A. West
Nyasha A. West
  • Lutherville Timonium, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: In Maryland, child support ends when the child reaches 18 years of age. The Court may enter an Order that includes arrears back to the date of filing, not the date of separation. Your boyfriend will be required to pay those arrears in full, even after the child turns 18.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.