Asked in Divorce for Indiana

Q: I recently went through a split with my wife. She was granted the house for 30 days whereupon I got to retake residency.

When I returned the house was completely empty including my deceased father's birth and death certificates and his guns, except for 2 pieces of furniture that were tore up and smelled like cat pee, a tv that didn't work and 2 other big furniture items. All that had to be burned. She was ordered not to take anything from the house until we decided on who's was whos. Which she obviously didn't do. Her lawyer will not send me the deed to my house without the ex wifes name on it. He continually ignores my calls and emails. From what I've read i can not file divorce papers back to fight what she is doing to me. My mom and i both have reciepts and bank papers showing the things I bought with settlement money I received. Now since the divorce isn't totally final I was told to file contempt papers and response papers. Im just not sure how to do that. It is dearborn county indiana. And I can not afford a lawyer bc I'm waiting on my disability decision. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Betsy Walits
Betsy Walits
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: You need to file contempt charges(AKA Rule To Show Cause). Go to the clerk of court tell them what you need to file and maybe they have a form. If they don’t, type up a doc that has a similar heading to the others, number your paragraphs and say what happened in one sentence each. Ask for a hearing. File it then try to find a pro bono attorney through Indiana Legal Services.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.