Elgin, IL asked in Family Law for Illinois

Q: receive allocated family support- (maintenance and child support together in one payment. I am in Illinois.

The original agreement states I would receive both child support and maintenance in this one payment for two years, with child support being reserved while I receive it. The two years is almost up, but I still need the amount I receive for both rather than the lesser amount I would receive if it is only child support, because I don't have enough money to pay all my bills and rent with just child support. I am not financially stable enough yet to not receive the maintenance portion anymore.

How would I make sure I still receive both after the two years is up- and get it extended another year or longer?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dean Wilhelm Taradash
Dean Wilhelm Taradash
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You should have a lawyer review your divorce decree. If possible, you should file a Motion to Extend the Unallocated Support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.