Saint Peters, MO asked in Sexual Harassment, Personal Injury and Civil Rights for Missouri

Q: When I was incarcerated in my county jail in 2016 I was sexually harassed and groped by a jailer. Can I sue still?

I had formally complained about the officer and was made fun of and ignored by the jail administrator. When I was sentenced on my case I told the judge also. They continued to employ him another year then two girls came forward to say he was doing it to them too. They fired him and brought charges on him. Can I sue for what he done to me?

1 Lawyer Answer
Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL

A: You can try.

An issue may be that the intentional criminal act may be outside the scope of employment and therefore sovereign immunity is not waived.

However, there may be a claim of failure to train and supervise under state torts and federal civil rights

Contact a lawyer immediately. I am not familiar with statute of limitations and notice requirements of Missouri law

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.