Phoenix, AZ asked in Child Support for Arizona

Q: child support modification

I have been a power of attorney on my brothers bank account. I sometime use the money in that account to pay my credit cards and also I have borrowed money from that account. My brother and I run business together so there were instances that some of the money deposited in the account was from my customer. Now I am in a child support contest and my ex wants the bank records on this account where I am POA on it. Am I legally obliged to give this information to her? Can she legally subpoena those bank records? If she can subpoena those records, how can I or my brother make sure she does not get those records?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Peter H. Westby

  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Since you have been using this account, it is likely that your judge would order the disclosure of the account information to your ex. She can subpoena these materials from the bank. I recommend that your brother speak with an attorney. If there is a good reason why these records should not be disclosed, his attorney may be able to help by requesting the judge to block, modify or limit this discovery to the items that have relevance to your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.