Gladwyne, PA asked in Divorce for Virginia

Q: I have a divorce filed in Hanover Ex won't complete paperwork to proceed. It's been 3 yrs. Should I hire lawyer to

Try to get her to finish this or start over and file myself?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Did she ever serve you with the Complaint for Divorce when she filed it? If so, you have 2 options. You can ask the court for leave to file late pleadings and file an Answer and Counterclaim. Then you can proceed with finalizing the divorce based on your counterclaim. Or you can just file your own Complaint and serve her. Your best option depends on what has already happened in the case. Consult an attorney for more specific advice based on your circumstances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.