Safford, AZ asked in Animal / Dog Law and Criminal Law for Arizona

Q: My friend gave me her dog several months ago. She was watching it for me while on vacation, and her ex stole the dog.

He stole the dog from her backyard, but gave the dog back before I was able to press charges. Am I still able to press charges, even though he returned the animal?

1 Lawyer Answer
Zachary Divelbiss
Zachary Divelbiss
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: This is a very unfortunate situation and even more unfortunate, it happens frequently. I recommend contacting the police to file a police report if you want to pursue criminal charges against the ex. If you are looking to sue the ex directly then you will need to contact a civil litigation attorney who can help you out. Animals are considered property in the eyes of the law so civil attorneys can help you the most and you may wish to repost your question to the civil law forum get more answers. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.