Kansas City, MO asked in Communications Law and Real Estate Law for Missouri

Q: What can I do to get my name off a joint mortgage when the other party won’t communicate with me?

My ex boyfriend and I bought a house together, split up a year ago and decided he could keep the house and I would get my name off of the mortgage. He now is refusing to speak to me and I don’t know what to do now as I still own this house and I don’t even live in it.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: You are in a bad position. The lender has no incentive to let you off the mortgage because it would be increasing its risk with nothing in return. Unless you can convince the former boyfriend to refinance, you will remain on the hook in the event he defaults. Perhaps a letter to him from an attorney would help.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.