Sacramento, CA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Utah

Q: Does my ex have the right to refuse me taking my kids overnight just because he wants to meet my boyfriend?

My ex says "I'm not having my girls over there (my place) until I meet him and talk to him for 2 minutes." And he also doesn't want me around while he does this.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Waldron
Paul Waldron
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Orem, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: It depends on the terms of the court orders. Generally, the other parent cannot control who the other fparent allows to be around the children. However, if there are no court orders, whoever has the children has custody and you are stuck with what your boyfriend may agree to until you get court order. Unless your boyfriend is an ax murderer, drug abuser, child abuser, etc., a judge will not enter an order restricting contact with your boyfriend. You would be well served by hiring an experienced family attorney to ensure that you can obtain a court order with parent-time terms that will not work for you. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.