Chicago, IL asked in Divorce for Texas

Q: I got divorced a year ago and because of stress and I am too nice I did not get close to what I should have financially

Can I file a claim to get what I should have? I was told financials aren't 50/50. I left the divorce with $96k and $56k was what was what I brought to the marriage. My ex made bw 250-300k plus a year.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Chidi D. Anunobi
Chidi D. Anunobi
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Generally speaking, you can modify orders relating to children. Orders regarding property can be enforced. If you can show "fraud", for instance, if you can show that your ex spose fraudulently withheld information regarding the value of the community estate or just did not disclose, you may be able to get back in court.

You need to talk to an experienced divorce attorney that litigates property issues to assist you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.