Q: my uncle is in Louisiana and he got in to a fight with a policeman so the judge gave him 3 months and 2 years of …..

my uncle is in Louisiana and he got in to a fight with a policeman so the judge gave him 3 months in jail and 2 years of public service under control but my uncle did not admit to the crime he was afraid that they will send him back to his country since he is not an American citizen yet so what do you suggest and what should he do

1 Lawyer Answer
Carl Shusterman
Carl Shusterman
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA

A: He should schedule a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney and show him/her his record of conviction. The attorney can advise him as to whether the conviction renders him deportable from the US, and if any relief is available to him.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.