Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Louisiana Immigration Law Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Louisiana on

Q: My husband came into the U.S. on a K visa we were married and filed for his LPR along with his I765 and I131.

He did his fingerprints meanwhile his mother died and he had to leave without receiving his travel docs. What should we do.

Kevin L Dixler answered on Aug 22, 2019

This is unfortunate. It’s hard to explain all of the conceivable consequences, but he should have stayed. He cannot return until he has the advanced parole.

You will be separated for a while, perhaps, many months.

As a result, I strongly recommend an appointment or teleconference...
Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Traffic Tickets and Immigration Law for Louisiana on

Q: I have speeding tickets happened longtime ago. But my DMV driving record shows no violation. Where can i get them?

I am about to fill in N400 to apply for citizenship. There is a question (question 23) to ask if i have ever been cited by law enforcement by any reason. I have nothing except some speeding tickets. Research on internet shows me that I need to answer "YES" and disclose all my traffic+parking... Read more »

Allen C. Ladd answered on Jan 10, 2019

I suggest you keep googling for TX and LA DMV record info. You may need to have official DMV records on the speeding violations, for your natz interview. Go ahead and complete the form -- and note that YES, you were CITED and you were CHARGED and your were CONVICTED of a CRIME ... even though... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Louisiana on

Q: F1 Visa has been revoked under strange circumstances. What do I do next?

I am a college student out in the US on an F1 visa, I've never been in trouble with the police before now although I have a pending court case regarding possession of marijuana charge in the state of Iowa (I was caught with a few grams whilst driving through) although I have plead not guilty and... Read more »

Hector E. Quiroga answered on Sep 17, 2018

The pending case in enough for the government to revoke your visa. That in and of itself should not impact you—a visa only allows you to enter another country—unless you leave the US for any reason. Then you would need to apply for another visa to come back.

If you are convicted of the...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Louisiana on

Q: If asked by the police in Louisiana, does a person have to provide proof of citizenship?

Can the police in Louisiana randomly ask people to prove they are citizens? My understanding is that you must provide ID if asked.

Carl Shusterman answered on Jun 20, 2018

Local police do not enforce federal immigration laws. However, in some states, local police cooperate with federal immigrant agents and ask people to prove their immigration status.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Immigration Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Louisiana on

Q: my uncle is in Louisiana and he got in to a fight with a policeman so the judge gave him 3 months and 2 years of …..

my uncle is in Louisiana and he got in to a fight with a policeman so the judge gave him 3 months in jail and 2 years of public service under control but my uncle did not admit to the crime he was afraid that they will send him back to his country since he is not an American citizen yet so what do... Read more »

Carl Shusterman answered on Jun 9, 2018

He should schedule a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney and show him/her his record of conviction. The attorney can advise him as to whether the conviction renders him deportable from the US, and if any relief is available to him.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Tax Law for Louisiana on

Q: Israeli on a longterm visa in the US, how are taxes calculated?

My friend is self employed, and in fact pays -me-, we're trying to get him immigrated here since most of the team is US based. He pays himself 3k a month from our crowdsourced funds. Can anybody explain whether or not he'd be paying israeli taxes if he was living here for the duration of his visa,... Read more »

Carl Shusterman answered on May 20, 2018

I suggest that you see a CPA. Good luck!

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Louisiana on

Q: my f-1 case needed administrative processing how can follow up or expedite this process?

I applied for the student visa and had an interview 5 months ago and I have not received any response from the embassy.

Carl Shusterman answered on May 11, 2018

You should make an inquiry or hire an attorney to assist you.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Louisiana on

Q: Question about EB-4 visa

My parents have entered the country under a B-2 Visa. They are hoping to apply for an EB-4 Minister visa (they are pastors) while they are in the U.S. under tourist status. Is this possible/legal? Do EB-4 Minister visas take a long time to be approved? And what are the requisites for them to be... Read more »

Carl Shusterman answered on Apr 30, 2018

Not a good idea. If they want to work as pastors, they should have the church sponsor them for R-1 religious worker visas first.

An R-1 visa is available to a person who has been a member of a legitimate religious denomination for at least two years and has a job offer in the U.S. to work...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Immigration Law for Louisiana on

Q: If I married an illegal immigrant, does that mean my marriage is fraudulent and not legal? Could I have it annulled?

Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on Mar 17, 2018

No your marriage is still legal and requires a divorce.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Immigration Law for Louisiana on

Q: How can i get work authorization. I'm married to a US citizen. My current visa is F1.

Edit Stelczner answered on Dec 13, 2017

Your US citizen spouse will need to petition for you by filing the form I-130. You will likely be able to file the adjustment application (green card application) along with the petition and from the date of filing you would receive employment authorization (work permit) in about 4 months. I... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Public Benefits for Louisiana on

Q: Can my citizen children and I receive Medicaid even though my husband is a a green card holder with a sponsor?

My overstay immigrant husband will soon be applying for his green card and we are using my sister to sponsor him on the i864. He is our sole financial provider, I am unemployed, and we always file taxes jointly. I understand that he is restricted from receiving means tested benefits, but does that... Read more »

Hector E. Quiroga answered on Nov 21, 2017

US citizens are eligible for means tested public benefits, even if they are married to someone who is undocumented.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Louisiana on

Q: Divorsed sept 2017 How long do I wait to file papers to my new husband, if i also fixed former husbands papers in 2015?

Was married to former husband for 8yrs since 2009 got 2 kids w/him-his process was 4 yrs from 2011-2015 he got his regular resident/greencard for 10yrs; then 2 yrs later on sept 2017 we got divorsed 'cus i cheated on him. I'm pregnant right now and want to fix new husband papers how long after that... Read more »

Hector E. Quiroga answered on Nov 6, 2017

You should be able to file paperwork for your new husband any time. We recommend you consult with an immigration attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Louisiana on

Q: Query about paying my attorney fees?

Hi, I have an H1 approved from my previous employer and need to transfer that to my new employer. My new employer is new in this area and doesn't have an immigration team. The new company is willing to take care of all the USCIS filing fee however has asked me to hire an attorney of my choice and... Read more »

Roger Carl Algase answered on Jun 26, 2017

No problem with this. Many of my own H-1B clients have this type of arrangement with their employers.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Louisiana on

Q: I sent all the required document for my daughter to get a F2 visa... now they are asking for a personal interview. Why.

At first we were told that a personal interview was not required since she is only two years old. After reviewing the document they decide that an interview is required with the principal applicant. Why? And what sort of questsion are they going to ask me?

Kyndra Mulder answered on Mar 25, 2017

The interview will be specifically tailored to your situation. It is not possible to tell you what they may ask without seeing the file and speaking to you.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Louisiana on

Q: I got my green card while being an F1 student. Is my F1 status automatically cancelled?

Kyndra Mulder answered on Jan 25, 2017

You do not need a visa if you are a permanent resident. So, yes it is cancelled.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Louisiana on

Q: i granted Volunteer departure , how i can come back to usa, i have a wife and a son US citizen

Matthew J Hartnett answered on Oct 4, 2016

You may be eligible to come back with a 601 waiver if you departed on time and if your wife is a citizen. Did you leave before the voluntary departure date the judge gave you? First step would be to talk with a lawyer to evaluate your case.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Louisiana on

Q: I am in deportion after asylum denied by Board of the appeal 8 years ago IA from sudan I want to know how can I adjustt

I am married to us citizen can that help me to stop my removal and adjust my status.

Matthew J Hartnett answered on Aug 23, 2016

If your appeal was dismissed by the Board, you will probably need a motion to reopen and remand, or a joint motion to reopen and remand from the Board to the Immigration Court that ordered you deported. You would also need your spouse to file an I-130 for you. I would strongly recommend... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for Louisiana on

Q: I am a Perm Res,my 16 y/o son's green card applictn is in process, can I apply for a B1 for him to visit me?

I am a Permanent Resident, my application for Citizenship is underway, and so is my son's green card application. But we have been seperated for 6 years, can I apply for him to visit me over the december hiolidays while his application is in process. He will return to my home country once the visit... Read more »

Shan Dimitris Potts answered on Jul 6, 2016

You can but the approval is not a certainty, tourist visas are given to people who have no immigrant intent (meaning they do not plan on immigrating to the US permanently). Since your son has a green card petition pending he has shown his immigrant intent. This might be a conflict at the POE. So... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Louisiana on

Q: I was student in the US a couple of years ago but got married under a visitor visa. Does the USCIS # is my A number ?

I did my graduate degree in the states and went back home. I got married to an American under my visitor visa 2 months ago. I'm a filling my change of status papers and I don't know if my USCIS # that I had as a student is my A #. Or since this process is with a different status I actually don't a... Read more »

Shan Dimitris Potts answered on Feb 25, 2016

Your a# will be the same unless or until you apply for a special type of visa such as U, T or Aslyum. Contact an immigration attorney to find out what is happening with your case. Many immigration attorneys including me offer free consultations, make use of the consultations. All the best.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Louisiana on

Q: I got married in the US while my I-94 was valid. I am applying for my change of status but my I-94 is expired now.

In filling out the forms for my change of status. Since my I-94 is expired now, I would like to know what is my status under USCIS. I enter the country as a visitor and got married as a visitor.

Shan Dimitris Potts answered on Feb 25, 2016

You do not have any status until you file the application for COS. If your spouse is a green card holder or a US citizen you will be just fine. If not contact an immigration attorney as soon as possible to avoid any problems you might have in the future. Many immigration attorneys including me... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.