Laurens, SC asked in Workers' Compensation for South Carolina

Q: Gdm I had a workman Comp case that was settled.. but I now have reoccurring pain & I no longer live in New Jersey

I reside in SC( my old company has a location here) Although I work for the USPS... can they Workman comp case lawyer for my old employer set me up here in Sc for treatment.. my New Jersey lawyer said I’d have to go back & forth??? Help time is ticking & pain is still here

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ilene Stacey King
Ilene Stacey King
  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: I'm guessing you had a NJ workers' comp claim, since you had a NJ lawyer. If you had a NJ workers' comp claim, the answer to your question depends on NJ workers' comp law. As a SC lawyer, I can't advise you on NJ law and I have no idea if your lawyer is correct that you have to travel back and forth to NJ for treatment. I could tell you how that issue is usually handled in a SC workers' comp claim but that would have no bearing whatsoever on a NJ workers' comp claim. Workers' comp differs from state to state. Workers' comp cases don't "transfer" from one state to another. Treatment may or may not be able to be transferred to a different state but even if treatment is able to be transferred, the claim itself does not transfer. If you brought and settled you claim as a NJ workers' comp claim, it can't somehow become a SC workers' comp claim. I'd suggest you re-post this question to New Jersey Workers' Compensation or, consider contacting another lawyer in NJ if for some reason you don't trust what your current NJ lawyer is telling you.

Carole Jean Hayes agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.