Asked in Employment Law for Florida

Q: I'm being sued for unpaid overtime wages, liquidated damages and attorneys' fees. I own a convenience store in Florida

and the employee worked for me for a total of 6 weeks and between 20 - 40 hours in a week. I paid the employee $10/hr and had no contract. The employee quit after the first 3 weeks. However, was hired back 2 weeks later for another 3 weeks but was then let go. In the 6 weeks he was with us he called off 3 times usually minutes before or in 1 case 4 hours after his shift started. We had no choice but to let him go. When he threatened to sue us, he told us he just settled another law suit and received $10,000 for a similar situation and that we would have to pay for our unfairness. I pay well over the minimum wage and there was no overtime, so I don't know where I was unfair. However, could you please advise how to go forward. Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tina El Fadel
Tina El Fadel
  • Boca Raton, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If you were served with a lawsuit it is very important that you hire an attorney as soon as possible as you have to respond to the lawsuit within 20 days or risk having a default entered against you and your Company. Gather all the time cards and information you have on the employee suing you and provide the same to the attorney of your choice. Our firm handles these matters and offer no obligation free consultations if you would like to further discuss this matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.