Houston, TX asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Mississippi

Q: My brother was sentenced to 20 yrs in prison on armed robbery in 2008. Can he get another day in court?

He was basically railroaded. He was a teenager when he was taken away. At first he had an court appointed attorney but we hired an attorney and the court would not allow my brother his attorney but rather the courts attorney. The attorney told my brother who was at the time a teenager that the only thing was best for him was an open plea. He got an bad deal. We need an honest and serious lawyer that can get my brother back in court so he can get the sentence reduced or something. He's been incarcerated for 10 years for something he did not do.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL

A: I doubt that there is anything that is available now after 10 years which can remedy the situation. Many time periods have elapsed.

It seems you and your family are, according to you, the victims.

I am also confused that you believe that if you receive a name of a lawyer on this blog, the lawyer will be automatically honest and serious whereas your checks with lawyers directly would not yield one.

I suggest you contact criminal defense lawyers in Mississippi in the locality of your brother's conviction to locate and retain one.

Arthur Calderon agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.