Maricopa, AZ asked in Child Support for Arizona

Q: I have child support court tomorrow. Anyway my ex petitioned the child support court in 2016 i never new about it and

She didn't show up to the court hearing. I received a notice from the court that she defaulted owed the court 100 dollars. Now she is taking me back to child support court . since she defaulted do I owe any rears cause she is requesting it in the papers. What are my options

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kai Michael Henderson
Kai Michael Henderson

A: It is hard to tell exactly what the basis for avoiding the child support order would be under this scenario. If a person is not making as much as they used to, they should immediately petition the Court to recalculate the obligation. A judgment can, in some circumstances, be adjusted down retroactively to the date of that filing once the Judge makes an order.

If a person's spouse never obtains a child support order, then it is hard to see why anyone would claim arrears on a non-existent order. In these situations it is important to have an experienced lawyer sort through the complications of the child support dispute and get to the bottom of what a person might owe. The attorney can also, as stated above, make sure that no one is getting paid more than what the child support calculator is showing. Generally speaking, the child support order is effective unless there is a change of circumstances financially and that has been adjusted into the current paperwork. Since the support order is, at least in theory, for the benefit of the children, malfeasance or contempt by one party unrelated to the substance of the Order is unlikely to change the outcome of the Child Support Proceeding.

Some people send their ex monies outside of the Child Support Clearinghouse. This is not recommended. It can be difficult to credit these transfers because they may not be well documented, or might be classified as voluntary gifts made in addition to child support. It is important to have bank records evidencing any such transfers submitted to the Court in an organized way so that the Judge can perhaps credit those transfers. A good attorney can help you with that aspect as well. If there were any wire transfers, use of a special ATM card, or simply checks that document payment of child support, a person might be able to persuade a Judge to credit some or all of those transactions against the arrears.

This Answer is posted for general informational purposes only. It is not designed as legal advice to the questioner. Any instances of the word “you” are meant in the third person. All individuals are counseled to seek the advice of an Attorney before basing any action on any information posted herein.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.