Anaheim, CA asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Arizona

Q: Arguing, a drunken boyfriend hits his girlfriend then threatens to hit her again is it a crime to pepper spray him?

Both are on the lease of the home a couple are arguing until the girlfriend locks him out. He leaves returning back drunk, demands entrance, she opens door when he starts swinging as hes going to strike her and does on her face, but the two continue arguing. He then starts swinging to hit her again and she grabs pepper spray feeling threatened, warns him 4 times , if he continues she will spray him. He continues yelling and refusing to let him into the home where the kids are and have for hours been in the middle of the dispute, the girlfriend thinks best not to let him in and tries to shut the door when her boyfriend takes a swing at her once more, making her think she is going to be hit again, she reacts spraying him with pepper spray. He is stunned by the spray so she closes the door locking him out again. After he gains consciousness he shouts out hes calling police and breaks the window. Is it a crime where she can be charged or arrested because she sprayed him if polce had come?

1 Lawyer Answer
Zachary Divelbiss
Zachary Divelbiss
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: This is an unfortunate situation that escalated further than both individuals would like. YES, both parties will likely be charged with Domestic Violence, Assault, Disorderly Conduct, and more. That being said, if she had to use pepper spray to defend herself then she will have a justified claim for self defense. The way it typically works in court is both parties will be charged with the crimes and then lawyers must advocate on your behalf to reduce or dismiss charges. If the police come to her to get her side of the story, it is strongly recommended that either she doesn't say anything or that she speaks with a lawyer to know what she can say to avoid making the situation worse. We handle these frequently so feel free to contact us or another lawyer for a free consultation. or 480-935-6545

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.