Saint Cloud, FL asked in Family Law and Education Law for Florida

Q: Can I fight for custody of my 11 year old son and have him returned to Florida?

My 11 yr old on was removed from the state of Florida 2 years after court visitation was in place. He moved to Missouri. Since the move I am missing every other Thanksgiving or Spring break. Moreover, this summer I will lose over a month of visitation. He moved with no consent or court order. I just recently learned of this Florida Statue. I have joint custody yet his father was able to obtain Primary. At time of the divorce I did not have attorney the entire time and I signed instead of trial bc of finances. I am seeking to see what the legalities are if I wanted to retain custody. Moreover, I need to be knowledgeable on my rights and those rights of my son if nothing else. This move to Missouri has placed undo hardship on our family connection here . His father has careless disregard to my son and my relationship. The move blocked my efforts to pursue the every other week or joint custody avenue.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Scott Michael Weiss
Scott Michael Weiss
  • Boca Raton, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: A lot of this depends on what court orders are in place , and what if anything has been filed in the past 2 years.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.