Brooklyn, NY asked in Civil Litigation for New Jersey

Q: In a court decision a defendant is to pay lawyer fees to the plaintiffs atty within 60 days, what if it's not paid?

In the court decision, the defendant was ordered to pay $750 of the plaintiff's attorney fees within 60 days. What happens if the fees cannot be paid because the defendant doesn't have the funds?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William N. Sosis
William N. Sosis
  • Hackettstown, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Defendant's non-compliance with a court order permits you to file a motion with the court. The court can now consider you a judgment creditor. The court will make an ability to pay determination if the defendant claims a lack of funds.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.