Decatur, AL asked in Adoption and Child Custody for Alabama

Q: I have legal temp custody of my stepdaughter. Both of her biological parents are not actively involved. Can I adopt

Do I have to terminate the rights of both parents to adopt or can I terminate one. How long should I wait? Its already been two years.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Robertsdale, AL

A: You don't have to terminate to adopt, but it is often the best way to go. You can show in the Probate Court that the parents have abandoned the child. Two years is plenty. DOn't wait any longer. Either file a petition to adopt without the consent of the parents, or file a Petition in Juvenile to terminate their rights. After that's done, wait out the 14 day time for the order to become final and then file for an adoption.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.