Alexander City, AL asked in Domestic Violence for Alabama

Q: Can someone please help!! I was arrested for Domestic Violence 3rd degree. Is there any way I can have this removed?

I got into an altercation with my ex at his home. I made the 911 call to police. When the arrived they did not question me other than asking me if I had been drinking. After speaking to my ex ( I overheard him say we hadn't spoken in 6 months which is a lie) they told me to turn around and I was going to jail because it "looked like I was the aggressor". His shirt was stretched out around the Collar. That was the only thing i could reach. I called the police because he choked me out 3 separate times...I said it on the 911 call and to the officer as he got out of the squad car. I was never read my rights or offered any medical treatment or even asked if I was OK. When I was released I went straight to the E.R. I had a sprained necka and a finger injury. Went to the station to see what could be done and the officer there said that nothing about him choking me was in the police report and implied that maybe I sprained my own neck... What advice can you give? I have no previous record.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Ask for an appointed lawyer in the criminal matter. Defend the criminal case. GO to the court where the charges are filed and file an affidavit of hardship and ask them to appoint a lawyer to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.