Goodyear, AZ asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Arizona

Q: Due to a separation I want joint custody. We were never married. I am on the birth certificate last name. Do have rights

Due to separation between my girlfriend and I there is a 2yr son. She is asking for controlling custody and child support. I want shared custody. Do I have any right to file for that.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Randi Sirlin

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Yes! You have rights. If she filed a Petition for Legal-Decision Making Authority, Parenting Time and Child Support, you should file a Reply for Paternity, Legal Decision Making Authority, Parenting Time and Child Support. As long as you are on the birth certificate, there is a presumption that you are the father.

If you need assistance, you should contact an experienced family law attorney.

John R Gaertner Jr

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Of course you have rights, however, you are going to have to go to Court and fight for those rights. If Mother has not already filed you should do so immediately. Since Mother appears to be the controlling and limiting type, when you file you should also file a Motion for Temporary Orders so that the Court can address the matters more quickly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.