Washington, DC asked in Child Custody for Virginia

Q: Can she get more child support and spousal support?

My boyfriend’s ex (currently married still to her) he is paying child support for there two kids one is 16 one is now 18 she has been moved out and out of school since oct of 2017 and now the mother is taking it back to court to get more child support from him! My question is can she? And can she get spousal support? they have been separated for three years now! I have proof of the daughter moving out and I also have proof of the ex texting my boyfriend stating that she was going to make things hard for him! (Me and him also have two kids together)

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sharon R. Moss
Sharon R. Moss
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Manassas, VA

A: If they are under a court order in Virginia for child support, the child turning 18 and emancipating is a material change in circumstances that would allow her the ability to ask the court to recalculate child support. The circumstances of the parties now as opposed to when the original order was entered will determine what the amount of child support should be at this time. With regard to spousal support, if they are still married, she has the right to request spousal support. Speak to an attorney to get more specific advice regarding the facts of the case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.