Livingston, TN asked in Criminal Law and Personal Injury for Tennessee

Q: Was assulted in my front yard, resulting in broken bones reconstructive surgery, stitches and concussion.

He is being charged with aggravated assault. What legal recourse do I have?

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers

Mr. Kent Thomas Jones Esq.

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: That is your legal recourse. If someone commits a criminal act against you, you file a charge against them. At that point, you are the victim and will be required to show up in criminal court for testimony.

Lawrence James Arnkoff

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You have two avenues available to you. The first has already commenced because the state has filed criminal charges. That is crucial to any possibility of your recovering for your damages. If the person is convicted the Judge must impose restitution for your injuries. The second avenue is hiring an attorney to file a civil lawsuit and you should consult with one who specializes in personal injury work. Unfortunately many times

you can obtain a judgment against the one who injured you but he doesn't have any assets or insurance. An attorney can investigate that for you before filing suit. The restitution from the criminal case should put pressure on the person throughout the length of their sentence. After that the judge can convert the restitution order into a civil judgment. Good luck.

Peter N. Munsing


A: talk to the victim assistance coordinator about his being responsible for your present & future medical bills.

You technically have a civil case you can file but if he doesn't have money then it's a long expensive slog for nothing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.