Pittsburgh, PA asked in Criminal Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Can a person who pressed charges on you show up to your court date if they have went to drug rehab

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrea E. Mertz
Andrea E. Mertz
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Reading, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: If the matter is at the preliminary hearing stage, the person does not have to be there and the officer can testify to the statement the person made to the officer even though that would not be admissible in other courts as it is heresay. So at the preliminary hearing, it is not an issue whether the person shows or not,

If it is in the Court of Common Pleas and it is scheduled for trial or pretrial hearings, which is the only other times the person would need to appear in court, then the Commonwealth would request a continuance and would most likely be granted a continuance until the person is available to testify.

If the rehabilitation center is close, the rehabilitation center may make arrangements to transport the person to the court.

Mr. Ryan L Hyde agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.