Denver, CO asked in Immigration Law for Colorado

Q: What's the first step to getting an h1b visa?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Carl Shusterman
Carl Shusterman
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA

A: Before you can submit an H1B visa petition and carry out the H1B application process you must first find a sponsoring company or employer. If you’re currently in the United States as a student on an F1 visa, you should check with your employer as to whether or not they can sponsor you on an H1B visa. If you are on an L1 visa or another visa status, it’s best to contact an immigration attorney to explore your specific case.

H1B Visa 2018 Quota Categories

The H1B quota is the maximum number of petitions accepted within that category. There are three main categories within the H1B Visa season as the infographic illustrates:

Regular H1B Quota: 65,000

Master’s Degree Quota: 20,000

Citizens of Chile and Singapore: 6,800 from the Regular Quota are reserved for citizens of Chile and Singapore as part of the Free Trade Agreement.

Cap Exempt H1B: No quota imposed

H1B Application Process Filing Fees Explained

H1B application process fees are typically all paid by the employer who is sponsoring the foreign worker. Below is a breakdown of the standard filing costs:

Base filing fee: $325

ACWIA fee: $750 for employers with 1-25 full-time employees or $1,500 for employers with 26+ full-time workers

Fraud prevention & detection fee: $500

Premium Processing (optional): $1,225

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.