Tampa, FL asked in Criminal Law, DUI / DWI and Car Accidents for Florida

Q: How long must I wait to get a hardship license after my license was revoked for life in the state of Florida?

I was convicted of DUI manslaughter in 2003 and my license was revoked for life. I was sentenced to 10.375 years in FDOC and 3 years probation. With all this behind me I was hoping to get a hardship license and save money not paying for Uber rides.

1 Lawyer Answer
Shiobhan Olivero
Shiobhan Olivero
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Brandon, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: As long as you have no prior DUI convictions, you can petition for hardship after 5 years.

a person whose driving privilege has been permanently revoked because he has been convicted of DUI manslaughter and has no prior convictions for DUI-related offenses may, upon the expiration of 5 years after the date of revocation or the expiration of 5 years after the termination of any term of incarceration petition the department for reinstatement of his or her driving privilege.

At the hearing, the petitioner must demonstrate to the department that he or she:

1. Has not been arrested for a drug-related offense during the 5 years preceding the filing of the petition;

2. Has not driven a motor vehicle without a license for at least 5 years prior to the hearing;

3. Has been drug-free for at least 5 years prior to the hearing; and

4. Has completed a DUI program licensed by the department.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.