Lake Station, IN asked in Bankruptcy for Indiana

Q: I filed chapter 7, it was discharged, I'm still paying my mortgage but on my credit report it shows closed-derogatory

Discharged in 2012, do I do anything about this or will it just make it worse.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Tyler Cumbo

  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Lexington Park, MD

A: If you have made your mortgage payments on time you should file a dispute and request the credit bureau to include an explanation on your report. Unless you signed a reaffirmation agreement that was approved by the Court the lender will not report anything to the credit bureau. If you did not sign such an agreement you may want to ask that the debt be reported as included in your bankruptcy but that you have made your payments on time.

Timothy Denison

  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: Challenge the entry on your credit report and rovide them a copy of your reaffirmation agreement and your payment history since discharge.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.