Jamaica, NY asked in Civil Rights and Criminal Law for New York

Q: Should I pay the civil demand letter of $500? when I already paid the full $250 worth of item I stole. Will I get sued

Should I pay the civil demand letter of $500? when I already paid the full $250 worth of item I stole. Will I get sued?

I got caught by lp shoplifting I just wanted to know If I dont pay the civil demand letter will I get sued now I got a paycheck from the store with the amount I paid for which was $250 it seems that they gave the money back i paid Im kind of concerned cause Im flying out the country want to sort this out or should I just pay the $500 so that I dont have to worry about anything cause the letter says that if I dont pay it they will take legal action and possibly sue us.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Charles Cimasi
Michael Charles Cimasi
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Amherst, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You should always consult with your criminal attorney on a matter such as this, but in general, no you shouldn't pay it prior to the adjudication of the criminal matter. If the Court orders restitution, that must be paid. In my experience, 3rd party debt firms send out these civil demand letters, but it is very unlikely that they will initiate actual litigation to seek such a small amount of funds. It would not be worth the time or the filing fee. However, it is worth the price of a stamp if you send them a check based simply on the demand.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.