Naples, FL asked in Construction Law for Florida

Q: Can I refuse to sign CO for re-roof if I am not satisfied with work done per contract?

I contracted with home improvement store for a re-roof who subbed it out to a licensed/bonded contractor per contract, that part we are okay with-ish. That contractor then subbed it out, and to an out of state contractor. Long and short of it the re-roofing process was not performed per our contract as we read it. Old roofing material was to be removed to the wood decking, that was not done. Every corner of the drip edge has openings, our fascia was damaged when they removed the old drip edge and we just discovered broken, chipping or discolored wood decking. We complained of course, to contractor hired by home store who stated he has pictures of the roof to the wood. I asked for them and he said he didn't need to prove anything to me. The contractor doing the work doesn't speak but a word or two (if that) of English but through his wife said he never took pictures. They are just about done, and our issues have not been addressed. We are not signing completion certificate.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alex McClure
Alex McClure
  • Lake Mary, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You can always refuse to sign.

That being said there are potential consequences to not allowing the payment to be made, even if you disagree with the quality and finality of the workmanship.

You might want to discuss the issue with the contractor and subs, and with your insurance company before you do anything. Always feel free to seek a consultation with a construction law attorney. Hope this helps.

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.