Astoria, NY asked in Divorce for New York

Q: Do I request to vacate a divorce settlement agreement by order to show cause or by plenary action? Judgement not signed

I waived maintenance but 3 months after inquest and signing the divorce settlement agreement my medical and financial circumstances have changed drastically for the worse. I have been diagnosed with a life threatening illness and cannot work. The final divorce judgement papers have not been signed yet. Do I need to start a whole new action to challenge the agreement or can I do it by Order To Show Cause since the judgement of divorce has not yet been granted? I am in NYC. Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Christine Moccia
Christine Moccia
  • Rye Brook, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: I believe the agreement will be binding unless you can show you entered into it under duress or were somehow incapacitated when you signed it. If you move to "vacate" or set aside the agreement, your ex will probably file a judgment of divorce and request a signed judgment incorporating the agreement. But of course you should consult a qualified attorney to discuss this matter. I cannot provide advice in this manner. Good luck .

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.