Phoenix, AZ asked in Family Law and Child Support for Arizona

Q: Does my husband have any fianicial responsibility to his child born out of wedlock?

My daughter was born one month before we got married. We are separated and he drained our bank account and left me with know money to pay bills or to buy the necessaries to care for our daughter. I’m a full time student student and he has been the only one to make money.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Peter H. Westby

  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Yes, your daughter's father does have financial responsibility. I recommend speaking with a family law attorney immediately. A legal proceeding can be filed to obtain an award of child support to assist you with your daughter's care. There are also forms and instructions online through the Maricopa County Superior Court website. However, where issues involving children are involved, I strongly recommend obtaining the help of a family law attorney to help avoid possible mistakes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.