Plainfield, IL asked in Landlord - Tenant for Illinois

Q: What do I do if I am paying for some of my landlords electricity?

I found out about a year and a half ago that I am paying for some of the electricity from the apartment under me, in which my landlord is living in at the moment, previously, another tenant was living there. Before she moved out, she cut her electricity services and she realized that half of her apartments electricity was still working after doing that. I mentioned that to the landlord and ever since then, she’s been trying to kick my family and me out. I’ve been living here for 7 years. What can be done?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Laura (Smith) Hoover
Laura (Smith) Hoover
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: If your apartment is Illinois, the Residential Property Utility Service Act provides a remedy for your situation. In cases where the tenant is being billed for utilities (electric/gas/etc.) that are being used outside of the tenant's unit, the landlord is responsible to reimburse the tenant for 100% of those utility bills unless the landlord can prove exactly how much was used and, in that case, must reimburse for the amount used. If it can be proven that the issue was on purpose, your landlord can be liable for triple your utility bills. If you would like to set up a consultation to discuss the details of your matter, please feel free to contact me: or set up an appointment by calling (773) 345-8883.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.