Asked in Traffic Tickets for Florida

Q: Can I fight a ticket for following too closely to a state trooper? No prior tickets or accidents.

I was traveling to work. There was a state trooper in the right lane. Traffic was traveling below the speed limit because of him. I was in the left lane also going under the speed limit. There was one car in front of me. Because the trooper was right beside me I never got over into the right lane earlier. He rode beside me for about 10-15 minutes. The road I turn on to access the interstate was coming up on the right. I judged it was smarter and safer to slow down and merge in behind the trooper since I thought the car in front of me was not going fast enough for me to accelerate and merge in front of the trooper. Plus I thought he would be more likely to pull me over for doing that. I safetly got over and put my turn signal on to get into the turn lane. I didn’t know where the trooper was going because he didn’t put his signal on until he literally turned on the road. He pulled off waited for me to drive around and then pulled me over for tailgating him. Can I fight it?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alex McClure
Alex McClure
  • Lake Mary, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You have the right to contest the ticket. Follow the directions on the citation for doing so. You may wish to reach out to a "ticket clinic" (a law firm that does traffic ticket defense) for help. Many people believe its worth the cost, but that's up to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.