Jacksonville, FL asked in Animal / Dog Law for Florida

Q: my ex is trying to get the dog he gave to me, back after ive taken care of the dog for over 4 months.

my ex and i bought this dog together i put cash down and he set up financing for the rest. i have paid for vet visits, medicine, food, toys, bones, treats, shampoos, vitamins, supplements, etc. basically i have been treating the dog like my son for over 4 months now without the help of my ex. my ex stalked me and harrassed me. he was also abusive to the animal and i have witnesses. my ex had an anger problem and i was scared so i broke up with him and now hes taking my to small claims court to get the dog back what do i do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alex McClure
Alex McClure
  • Lake Mary, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Pets are personal property in FL. You would want to show the court what you can about your care and support of the animal (financially) and then its up to the judge to decide who the owner is. Obviously, there can be only one prevailing party in the claim because there is only 1 animal.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.