Indianapolis, IN asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Indiana

Q: Can I sue the Police department narcotics department for drug raiding my house I wasn't person on the bodily warrant I

was arrested and put in jail for 4 days charged with a felony and mistometer, my lawyer got case dismissed for invalid search warrant, invasion of privacy. I was evicted charged 3000 for damages the 15 narcotics officers done knocking down doors and destroying house. I have been tuned down jobs, not approved for new apartment because of criminal charges. I should have been asked to enter my apartment instead they raided it. they did no DNA testing the main detective didn't even assist in search and was not told of any information on evidence found. I have lost thousands of dollars over this and have never been in trouble with the law. Do I have a case?

1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew L. Bennett
Andrew L. Bennett
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: It sounds like you may have a case, I would suggest the 'find a lawyer' feature on Justia to find an attorney in your area that handles suits against police, called 1983 actions. Also be mindful that you have a short window in order to put the department on notice, which I believe is 180 days from the time they raided your house. If you miss the time frame you are precluded from moving forward with your case. Also you should look into an expungement of the criminal case if it was dismissed so that it will not be visible to employers or landlords.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.