Fairfield, CT asked in Estate Planning for Connecticut

Q: What kinds of things should we be aware of as we set up our estate for a disabled child?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steven Basche
Steven Basche
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Glastonbury, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: The answer to that seemingly simple question is rather complex. To start, you should be considering setting up a couple of special needs trusts (SNT's). The first trust would be a 3rd party SNT, which is funded by assets owned by a third party (meaning not your child). The second trust is a "1st party" or "self-settled" SNT. This would be funded by assets of your child, which he or she might be entitled to because a relative left money to him or her directly, or by a personal injury settlement if your child became entitled to money down the road because of an accident.

These trusts will allow you to leave money for the benefit of your child, without jeopardizing entitlement to governmental benefits such as SSI.

I'd suggest sitting down with an estate planning attorney with expertise in this complicated area.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.