Port Deposit, MD asked in Divorce for Maryland

Q: Wife and I separated over 3 months. She refuses to sign separation agreement. What recourse for proceeding with divorce?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nyasha A. West
Nyasha A. West
  • Lutherville Timonium, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: In Maryland, to receive a no fault divorce, the parties must meet the following criteria:

1. No minor children in common

2. Signed separation agreement resolving all property and alimony issues

3. No rescission of the agreement and

4. Both parties must appear at the divorce hearing.

Here, it appears that a no fault divorce is not an option. Therefore, unless a fault ground for divorce can be proven, an uncontested divorce is the only option.

In filing for an uncontested divorce, the parties must have lived separate and apart for 12 months at the time of the hearing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.