Arlington, TX asked in Divorce for Texas

Q: I filed for divorce and my wife won't leave.The house is mine, she moved in with me 3 and a half years ago.We have no ki

Whave no kids.How can I make her leave...

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth Mitchell
Kenneth Mitchell
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You will need to speak to your divorce attorney to come up with the best method, without making this into such a contested divorce that you will need to liquidate the house just to pay the attorney's fee. Normally a person's separate property remains their separate property and the court will not take the title away. However, you might need to reimburse her for community property invested into the house. This is when your attorney and her attorney come into play and discuss negotiate and try to come to an agreement everyone agrees on, and allow to both of you to move on.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.